Even though Punta Rassa is not exactly a “surrounding island”, we decided to include a section dedicated to this area as it was growing up during during the same time as St. James City in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It was the telegraph station at Punta Rassa that enabled many of St. James-on-the-Gulf’s early visitors to keep in contact with their affairs while they wintered on Pine Island. The outlined pages will be added shortly.
Fort Dulany During the Seminole Wars
The Big Hurricane of 1873
The Tarpon Lodge
The Schultz Hotel
The Cattle Connection