Whiteside’s General Store

Whiteside’s General Store was constructed in 1885 in St. James City and sat at the base of the wharf.  The town’s first post office was in this building too.  Edgar A. Whitesides was one of the original shareholders in the St. James-on-the-Gulf Corporation.  He stayed on in St. James City long after the St. James-on-the-Gulf Corporation went out of business.  This building was destroyed in the 1910 hurricane but later rebuilt into another post office from the original lumber.

The general store and post office 1886 at the base of the wharf

The general store and post office 1886 at the base of the wharf

Photo Credit Museum of the Islands

A view of the general store from the wharf.

General Sore as Viewed from The Wharf

Photo Credit Museum of the Islands

This Chapter Pine Island Communities
This Section St. James-on-the-Gulf Era
Next Page The Annex
Next Chapter Surrounding Islands
Home Page